Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
Apply here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html
NOTE: The Canada Emergency Response Benefit replaced the previously-announced Emergency Care Benefit and the Emergency Support Benefit.
CERB will provide $2,000 per month for up to 4 months. You are eligible to receive the CERB if:
- You reside in Canada and are at least 15 years of age;
- You have not quit your job voluntarily (e.g. layoff);
- You have stopped or will stop working for reasons related to COVID-19, or because you lost your employment for other reasons beyond your control;
- You have or will stopped working for at least 14 consecutive days;
- And you have earned a minimum of $5,000 in income within the last 12 months or in the 2019 calendar year.
NOTE: As of April 6, there will be ONE application for both Employment Insurance (EI) Sickness Benefits and the CERB. If you applied for EI Regular or Sickness Benefits AFTER March 15, your claim will automatically be processed as the CERB.
How to Apply for the CERB:
Applications for the CERB will begin being processed on April 6, 2020. Prepare to apply by making sure you have a MyAccount with the Canada Revenue Agency here. Apply for the CERB here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html
If you can't apply online, call 1-800-622-6232 on April 6. Service Canada offices are now closed due to the coronavirus.
Employment Insurance (EI) Caregiver Benefit
If you are caring for someone who is critically ill, you may be eligible for EI Caregiver Benefits. For more information on the EI Caregiver Benefit and to apply, click here.
Here is a detailed and helpful guide to better understand what supports you should apply for depending on your situation. This guide is information compiled and published freely by Dr. Jennifer Robson, Associate Professor of Political Management at Carleton University.
Unsure about your working conditions, situation, rights or benefits?
Contact the Workers' Action Centre for their free hotline at 416-531-0778 (Toll-free: 1-855-531-0778).